Construction Board of Adjustments & Appeal
- 9 a.m.
- Last Tuesday of each month
Agendas, Minutes and Meeting Officials
The Fort Pierce Construction Board of Adjustment and Appeals, created by Section 5-1.140 (Construction Board of Adjustment & Appeals) of the Code of Ordinances, Section 5-1.103.5 and Section 111 (Board of Appeals) of the International Property Maintenance Code, as well as Section 5-352 of the Code of Ordinances relating to the Standard Housing Code (Housing Board of Adjustment and Appeals). The Board will consider decisions of building officials, as provided by Section 5-126.96.36.199, when claim is made that any 1 of the following conditions exist:
- The Building Official rejected or refused to approve the mode or manner of construction proposed to be followed or materials to be used in the installation or alteration of a building, structure or service system
- The provisions of the code do not apply to petitioner's specific case
- That an equally good or more desirable form of installation can be employed in petitioner's specific case
- The true intent and meaning of this code or any of the regulations there under have been misconstrued or incorrectly interpreted
Applications for Variance
The Board will consider applications for variance, as provided by Section 5-188.8.131.52, when, in its opinion, the enforcement thereof would do manifest injustice and would be contrary to the spirit and purpose of the Florida Building Code or the Technical Codes or public interest, and also finds all of the following:
- That special conditions and circumstances exist which are peculiar to the building, structure or service system involved and which are not applicable to others
- That the special conditions and circumstances do not result from the action or inaction of the applicant
- That granting the variance requested will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by the Code to other buildings, structures or service systems
- That the variance granted is the minimum variance that will make possible the reasonable use of the building, structure or service system
- That the grant of the variance will be in harmony with the general intent and purpose of the Code and will not be detrimental to the public health, safety and general welfare
In granting the variance, the board may prescribe a reasonable time limit within which the action for which the variance is required shall be commenced or completed or both and may further prescribe appropriate conditions and safeguards in conformity with the code.
Please contact the Building Department for more information at 467-3188.