Short Term / Vacation Rentals


Short Term Dwelling / Vacation rentals have become extremely popular throughout the State of Florida. The ease in which a homeowner can rent their property utilizing websites such as and has helped spur this growth and popularity. However, prior to deciding to rent your property for less than 6 months, there are several factors that must be considered as well as associated fees.

Dwelling rentals of less than 6 months (short term) require a Conditional Use Permit issued by the City of Fort Pierce in all residential zoning districts. Vacation rentals are further defined by the State of Florida as "any dwelling or unit rented to guests more than three (3) times per year for periods less than thirty (30) days or a transient public lodging establishment, which is advertised and held out to the public as a place regularly rented to guests" and have additional requirements.

Short Term Dwelling / Vacation rentals in Fort Pierce are regulated within the E3, R1, R2, R3, R4, R4A and R5 zoning districts. If you are unsure in which zone your property is located, you can find it at


  • City: Conditional Use Permit. You can download the Conditional Use Application here.
  • County: Tourism Development Tax Account and payment of a 5.0% tourism tax. Information on the Tourism Development Tax can be  obtained by calling their office at 772-462-1650 or on the County's website. A Conditional Use Permit is required prior to opening an account.
  • State: Sales Tax Identification Number and payment of a 6.5% tax. Information on sales tax can be obtained by calling their local  office at 772-429-2900 or at the Dept. of Revenue website.

RENTALS OF LESS THAN 30 DAYS ALSO REQUIRE (in addition to the above):

  • City: Current Business Tax Receipt. Call the City Clerk at 772-467-3065.
  • County: Business Tax Receipt (only required if property is owned by a business). Visit
  • State: Business License. Applications and instructions can be found on the DBRR website for the Division of Hotels & Restaurants at A flyer entitled "Guide to Vacation Rentals and Timeshare Projects" provides helpful information and can be obtained from either the DBPR's website or at the City's Code Enforcement office.